Leslie and David's Cancerland Adventures

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

At Peace

Leslie is at peace; she died this morning at 6:27 with our family all together.

Our family has had blessedly few close encounters with death, so none of us knew what to expect.  The passing was remarkably peaceful, particularly given that her last 48 hours were characterized by restlessness.  She held and squeezed our hands, her respiration became soft and shallow, and in the final minutes the breaths simply came farther apart, until they stopped entirely.

We will hold a memorial gathering for Leslie, but have not set a date; it likely will not take place until May, at least, as we want to give family and friends plenty of time to make arrangements.

It seems unfair that Leslie was taken on a lovely spring day in Chicago, when normally she'd have found peace in her gardens.  Caroline, Emily and I spent some time there, later this morning.

So often, I'd come home to find her sitting on the front stoop or back porch, simply staring.  Sometimes, she was envisioning rearrangements - digging up plants and changing their positions.  Sometimes, she was on the phone with her sister Ellen, who until recently ran a perennial nursery, trying to identify the perfect plant for one of the few open spots.  Sometimes, she was simply lost in the ever-changing riot of greens and colors - her garden was planned for three-season splendor.

Leslie had two other gardens - one at Lab for her fourth grade students, and one in Little Compton, Rhode Island - the one consistent "home" in her 54 years.

She began planting vegetables there a few years ago after reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  Leslie spent as much as possible of her teacher summers there, documenting its growth in photo essays for her students.  The garden yielded sumptuous amounts of shell beans, potatoes, eggplants and tomatoes, some of which she left in Rhode Island and some of which she brought home (have you ever carried 30 pounds of tomatoes past TSA?).

These weren't the biggest bounty of that garden, however; what grew best by the ocean were relationships.  Leslie spent time with her parents, gently helping them make accommodations to keep themselves safe and fulfilled.  When Leslie first tilled the space, her mother was suffering from back problems and her father from early Alzheimer's.  The garden became conversation pit and fitness center, and by the end of the first summer, her mother was sitting on a stool and weeding, and her father was hauling brush to his beloved bonfire pile and fetching the hose and tools.

Last summer, with Leslie in chemo, the garden returned to wild, though the reaping continued; Leslie was able to spend thoughtful time with her parents, her siblings, and friends who accompanied her to "the Comptons."  Later this summer, Caroline and Emily and I hope to return Leslie to the place she loved so much.

Bringing peace and closure to this difficult day, here are some images from Leslie's many gardens.

Little Compton garden, in process

Leslie loved having the tiller in her hands - whether gardening or sailing.


   
The Lab School garden being prepared.
 



12 comments:

  1. David, as someone who didn't know Leslie, I'd like to thank you for this blog. It's been inspiring getting to know this vibrant, amazing woman through your writing. I'm so sorry for your loss, and my love goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too - as someone who didn't know Leslie and know you on a professional level - would also like to thank you and your family for this blog. It has been truly inspirational. My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David for sharing. I am an Ancona parent and spent a fair amount of time with your lovely wife. We spoke of our shared love of nature and our experience of visiting the Galapagos as our idea of the best family trip imaginable. My thoughts have been with you all since I first heard of her illness. My daughter Kristyn was in the same class as Caroline. I will never forget watching her gracefully glide down the aisle at graduation. You have a ton of mommy love embracing your family now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much, David, for the fullness of the description of her departure. my father's was the same and i think it is like birth, where the word "labor" is correct. but the release is finally so sweet, the surrender.

    if you or anyone in your family, needs a place to stay, i am in Cambridge and very reachable. like the others, i never met your wife but you've kept us all up to date through the arduous and painful process and for that i thank you, for all of it i thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Ms. Hornig's last full year of fourth grade teaching at Lab. She was a really sweet woman. She always put a smile in our day. I will never forget what I learned from her, the building blocks of science. I am doing an article about her for our school newspaper. I am so sorry for your loss. I have so many positive quotes that students submitted to me. My deepest condolances.

    -A student

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too had her as a science teacher in 2011 and she was so amazing. Her class was my favorite and I learned so much. I am so sorry for your loss. She was an amazing woman, and what I learned in that class will never be forgotten.
    Thank you,
    - Another Student

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie was a co-graduate student with me at UofC and later a science teacher for my daughter at Lab school. My memories of her are with the rats and sitting at the round lab table talking about animal behavior, family, children & life. She was a part of my life when I grew up and became a parent. What complex and wordless feelings come up when I heard the news. Thank you David for sharing through this blog. It captured Leslie's ability to appreciate nature so fully and continually with her family, students and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, thank you and your daughters and your beloved wife for teaching me what "family" means... Much love and peaceful thoughts are being sent you way. Love, Ali & Chille

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, I learned of Leslie's death when Jeanne Altmann forwarded me the email you sent her. I remember Leslie as so competent, confident and mature in graduate school, where we were contemporaries, office mates and friends. I admired her for it and tried to emulate her, because I felt so constantly at a loss in those days. I also remember her bright, warm face and how spoke of raising her children as "the most important thing" that she would do in life, providing perspective to the rest of us enmeshed in the struggle to get a PhD. Her family was so clearly the anchor and center of gravity in her life, something that I understand now that I have a family of my own. I am so sorry for your loss. Leslie will be remembered and missed by many people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. David, thanks for this blog-- Only you could figure out how to use a Lytro for such a purpose; with such elegance and grace. The blog has helped me better understand your story, your incredible loss, and how amazing Leslie was. Ellen and I send our thoughts to you and your daughters; we may not be with you in the room, but we are there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear David,
    Our thoughts and hearts are with you and your family now. On this beautiful day with the sun shining off the lake, we can think of Leslie and remember her full and lovely life. My daughter was lucky to have her as a teacher and a friend. Leslie gave the students a quiet spot every morning before school started to come and say hi and visit with Oscar. She gave her students a joy and love for science which they still carry with them. Leslie lives on in our family in pancakes, in a love for rats (even the squeamish reluctant rodent lovers) and an enduring love of the world around us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really sad about ms.hornig

    ReplyDelete